Pepperoni, Mushroom and Ricotta Cannelloni
Yield: Makes 12
- 350g fresh lasagne sheets
- 580g fresh ricotta
- 100g parmesan grated
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- ½ lemon zested
- 2 spring onions finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 300g swiss brown mushrooms roughly chopped
- 250g large flat mushrooms coarsely chopped
- 1 pack Hellers pepperoni roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp sage leaves chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves chopped
- 200g fresh spinach leaves
- 20g dried porcini soaked in 200mls of warm water
- Olive oil
- Béchamel Sauce
- 100g butter roughly diced
- 50g plain flour
- 550ml warmed full milk
- 50g grated parmesan
- Pinch each ground cloves and nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 180C
2. Start by making the béchamel sauce. In a saucepan make a roux by heating the butter over medium heat till foaming then add the flour and stir well for several minutes, it will turn a sandy colour. Now whisk in the milk a small ladle at a time making sure the roux is lump free before you add the next ladle of milk. Once all the milk is added allow the sauce to bubble for several minutes then remove from heat. Add the parmesan, cloves, nutmeg and a good pinch of sea salt. Give it a final hard whisk and cover with buttered baking paper and set aside somewhere warm.
3. To make the ricotta filling mix together in a bowl the ricotta, parmesan, eggs and lemon zest. Season well and set aside.
4. For the remaining filling heat a glug of olive oil in a large fry pan over medium heat, add the garlic and spring onions and cook for 2-3 mins. Add the herbs, swiss browns, flat mushrooms and pepperoni and sauté for about 8 mins until the mushrooms are tender. Add the porcini and the liquid and simmer for 5-7 mins until the liquid has reduced. Add the spinach for 1 min then remove from the heat and season well.
5. Cut the fresh lasagne sheet into 12cm wide rectangles – approx. 12 cannelloni. Add 3 cut sheets at a time to a large pot of boiling salted water and cook for 1-2 mins. Remove gently with a slotted spoon and drape over the side of a bowl while you quickly work with the cannelloni one at a time. Repeat the process as needed.
6. Spread 2-3 dessertspoons of ricotta down the middle of the pasta and top with some of the mushroom mixture. Carefully roll it over to enclose and place into a large buttered oven proof dish. Repeat the process for the remaining cannelloni.
7. Spread the béchamel sauce all over the cannelloni and bake in a hot oven for 30-40 mins until the top is golden.
8. This dish is delicious alongside a really fresh garden salad or steamed greens. Don’t forget some artisan bread to scoop up any leftover sauce!