Quick Caramelised Onion Sausage with Cherry Tomato & Bacon Sauce and Polenta
What you will need
- 2 packs Hellers Caramelised Onion sausages
- 2 T oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 125g smoky bacon, chopped
- 200g fresh cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tin cherry tomatoes
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup beef or chicken stock
- salt & pepper
- parsley leaves
- Polenta: 5 cups chicken stock - hot, 250g instant polenta, 1 cup grated cheddar or Parmesan or Tex Mex cheese, salt to taste
Heat 2 T oil in a large oven proof fry pan, brown the sausages then set aside.
- Add the bacon to the fry pan and brown well, before adding in the onions, garlic and cooking until soft. Add the fresh cherry tomatoes and cook breaking them down with the back of a spoon. Add the tinned tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, stock and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Place the browned sausages back into the tomato mixture, and cook for 10 minutes or until the sauce reduces a bit. Top with parsley leaves.
Five minutes before the sausages are done, bring the polenta stock to the boil in a saucepan. In a steady stream pour in the instant polenta, whisking until thick. Cook for 3 minutes, then remove from the heat. Fold in the cheese, and season to taste. Add more liquid if the polenta gets too thick.
- To Serve:
Spoon the hot polenta onto a plate, and spoon over the caramelised onion sausages and sauce. Serves 4