- 1 Enchilada pack with 10 corn tortillas, sauce + spice mix
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 red pepper deseeded, chopped into small bite size
- 390g can black beans rinsed
- 300g whole corn kernels rinsed
- 6 Hellers Chunky Cheese Precooks cut into small bite size chunks
- 400g can Mexican style chopped tomatoes
- 1.5 cups grated cheese
- Additional to make a large batch: 1 x 10 pack corn tortillas
- 1 enchilada sauce or Mexican tomato salsa
Tip: The sausage-bean mix makes more than needed so it’s a good idea to buy the extra tortillas and some additional enchilada sauce or Mexican tomato salsa for the topping. The sausage bean mix is also awesome used in quesadillas, nachos, burritos, wraps and as a side with corn chips and guacamole.
- Preheat oven 200C
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat sweat the onions and red pepper in the oil for 8-10 mins.
- Add the black beans, corn, cut sausages and stir through the spice mix from the enchilada pack (you may only want to add half the spice mix if you are feeding kids). Add the chopped Mexican flavoured tomatoes and bring up to a simmer for a few minutes then remove from heat. This mix makes more than you need but is great for making a large batch of enchiladas for leftovers through the week or lunches.
- Line a large oven proof dish with baking paper
- To assemble place a few tablespoonfuls of sausage-bean mix along the middle of a tortilla then sprinkle with a small amount of cheese. Fold each side over and into the middle, place into the ovenproof dish and secure with a toothpick. You can also just place it in folded side down to prevent the use of a toothpick. Repeat this process for all the remaining tortillas.
- Top each tortilla with enchilada sauce and a sprinkle of cheese
- Bake in a hot oven for 15-20 mins until golden and crispy. Serve with sides of sour cream, limes, and fresh coriander