One Pan Italian meatballs, with Orzo & Mozzarella
What you will need
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 pack of Hellers Italian meatballs
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, diced or grated
- 4 T fresh basil or 1 tsp dried oregano
- 300g orzo
- 1 tin cherry tomatoes
- 2 T tomato paste
- 600ml chicken stock, hot
- salt & pepper
- 125g fresh bocconcini, drained (optional)
- basil leaves, to garnish
- parmesan, grated to finish (optional)
- green salad to serve
- Heat the oil in an oven proof fry pan and brown the meatballs. Set aside.
- Add the onion, carrot, garlic and basil/oregano to the fry pan, and cook for a few minutes till the onion softens.
- Add in the orzo and toss to coat, then add the tomato paste, tinned tomatoes, hot stock and season with salt & pepper.
- Bring the mix to a simmer. Add the meatballs to the fry pan, and cook for about 15 minutes stirring regularly. The orzo should have absorbed most of the liquid after 15 minutes.
- Pre heat the grill in the oven. Place the bocconcini on the top of the meatball and orzo mixture, and place the fry pan under the grill for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and is a little brown.
- Top with extra basil leaves and parmesan, and serve with big green salad