Mexican Baked Rice with Jalapeno & Cheese Sausages
What you will need
- 1 - 2 packs Hellers Jalapeno & Cheese sausages
- 2 x 250g packs pre cooked brown rice, or 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 T tomato paste
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved or a tin of Mexican spiced tomatoes
- 1 tin black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lime, zested & juiced
- 4 T parsley or coriander, chopped (optional)
- ½ - 1 cup Tex Mex blend grated cheese
- To Serve: sour cream, hot sauce, sliced chilli, chopped coriander, guacamole or sliced avocado
- Heat 2 T oil in a large oven proof fry pan (or you can transfer it to one later)
Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, and cook the rice noodles for 2 minutes or according to packet instructions. Drain and refresh under cold water to stop them from over cooking.
Slice the cucumber.
- Brown the sausages and set aside.
- Add the peppers, garlic and onion to the fry pan and cook until soft. Add the paprika, cumin, oregano and cook for a minute, before adding the tomato paste, fresh tomatoes or tinned tomatoes and the black beans. Stir to coat, then add the cooked brown rice. If using fresh tomatoes add in ½ cup of water too.
- Stir until the rice is hot, then add the lime zest, lime juice and herbs if using. Return the browned sausages to the fry pan.
- Transfer everything to a baking dish if needed, and sprinkle over the cheese. Place under a hot grill for 5 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbly. Alternatively, you can mix the cheese through the rice and let it melt.
- To serve:
Spoon the hot rice and sausages onto individual plates, and top with your favourite Mexican sides. We chose sour cream, guacamole, sliced chilli, and extra coriander.