The Ultimate Open Cheese Toastie with Cheese and Bacon Sausages
- 4 – 5 Hellers Cheese and Bacon Precooks
- 2 large ciabattas
- 6 tbsp tomato chutney
- Cheesey Mix - 280g Best Foods Mayo
- 60g parmesan powder
- 350g tasty/cheddar cheese grated
- Pickled Red Onions - 3 red onions finely sliced on a mandolin (if available)
- 250ml rice wine vinegar
- 200ml hot water
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 star anise
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 6 coriander seeds
- 6 whole black peppercorns
Tip: The red pickled onions are great used in salads, burgers, sandwiches, antipastos, endless uses so it is worth making them and keeping them in the fridge to use whenever the need arises!
The cheesy mix can easily be doubled and keeps in the fridge for a few weeks – although we doubt it will last that long!
These toasties are also incredible with Hellers Honey Baked Ham off the Bone or if you really feel like indulging Hellers Streaky Bacon
- Start by making the pickled onions – these are best made the day before and kept in the fridge ready to use.
- Spread the sliced red onions out over a large tray and lightly sprinkle with salt. Leave for 30 mins to extract the bitter juices – they will end up having a sweaty look about them. Then wipe and pat the onions dry with a paper towel removing as much salt as possible, place them into a large deep container.
- Meanwhile place all the remaining pickling ingredients into a small saucepan and bring up to a gentle simmer stirring the sugar until it has dissolved, do not let it reduce by leaving it boiling rapidly. Let the flavours infuse for a few minutes then pour whilst hot over the prepared onions. The onions will start to turn a lovely bright pink colour the longer you leave them. Store in airtight containers in the fridge for several weeks.
- To make the cheesey mix combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed – it will be a stodgy consistency and this is what you want
- Cut the precooks into 6 slices length-ways
- Cut the ciabatta loaves into 4 even portions and then slice them through the middle. Place onto a grilling tray and toast the outside under a hot grill
- Turn the ciabatta over and spread with tomato chutney, top with pickled red onions and 4 slices of cheese and bacon precooks. Now top with the cheesey mix making sure you fully cover the toastie all the way to the edges
- Grill the toastie until it is golden and bubbling
- Serve immediately with a sprinkle of sea salt on top of each toastie