Braised Chicken with Italian Salami, Olives + Artichokes
- 8 chicken legs
- 1 pack Hellers Italian Salami sliced into large strips
- 1.5L chicken stock reduced salt – heated
- 2 lemons sliced into quarter rounds
- 4 stalks fresh sage
- 4 stalks fresh oregano
- 8 stalks fresh Italian parsley*
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 10 garlic cloves peeled and squashed
- 16 chargrilled artichoke hearts in oil
- 24 Kalamata olives
- ¼ cup olive oil
- *More roughly chopped Italian parsley for garnish
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and cracked pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 180C
2. Start this recipe by browning the seasoned chicken legs on both sides in a large fry pan over medium heat with a little oil.
3. Into a large oven dish liberally place the sliced lemon, sage, oregano, parsley, fennel seeds, garlic and half of the artichokes, olives and salami. Add a good glug of olive oil and give it all a gentle mix around.
4. Place the chicken legs on top of the herbs etc in the oven dish. Scatter the remaining olives and artichokes over and around the chicken legs. Pour the heated chicken stock gently into one corner of the dish; you may not need all of it. Add another good glug of olive oil over the dish and cover with baking paper and finally tinfoil.
Place into the oven and cook for 25-30 mins until the meat is thoroughly cooked through but still tender.
5. In the large fry pan add a ¼ cup of olive oil and gently fry the remaining salami over medium heat. Once it becomes slightly darkened and crispy looking remove immediately onto a plate to allow it to crisp up.
6. To serve you can take the oven dish straight to the table or transfer it onto a serving platter and drain off the stock to use as a sauce. Top with crispy Italian salami and chopped parsley. This dish is delicious with creamy polenta and fresh garden greens like asparagus or beans.