Italian Salami Stuffed Roast Onions
Yield: Serves 4 - 6
- 6 white onions peeled with root intact
- 20g dried porcini soaked in 200mls warm water
- 50g butter
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 large flat mushrooms finely chopped
- 8 slices Hellers Italian salami finely chopped
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme – 1 tsp finely chopped
- 50g coarse sourdough breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup cream
- ½ lemon zested
- 100g grated parmesan
- 300ml cream
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and cracked pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 180C
2. In a large pot cook onions in simmering salted water for 20-25 mins. Drain and cool then cut the top of the onion off a third of the way down and set the lids aside. Remove the root and discard. Gently remove the centre of the onion leaving a good solid outer shell. Roughly chop up half the onion you have removed and set aside, save the rest for another dish.
3. For the filling heat the butter in a fry pan and add the garlic for 2 mins then add the reserved chopped onion, mushrooms, Italian salami, tsp of thyme, and drained chopped porcini. Cook for 5 mins then add the porcini liquid and allow it to cook until the liquid has reduced. Season well and set aside in a bowl to cool slightly.
4. To filling add ¼ cup cream, 50g parmesan, breadcrumbs and lemon zest. Check the seasoning.
5. Gently stuff each onion and place the reserved onion lids on top. Place the stuffed onions into an ovenproof dish, pour 300mls cream and scatter with remaining thyme sprigs.
6. Bake in a hot oven for 35 mins then scatter the remaining 50g parmesan over the cream and cook a further 10-15 mins until golden brown.
7. This recipe is a delicious side dish with chargrilled steak and fresh greens. Try it alongside roast lemon chicken and crispy roast potatoes…yum yum!!